Does My Child Need an IEE (Independent Educational Evaluation)?

If you’re familiar with special education services you’ve probably heard the term “IEE”. So, what is an IEE? And, does your student need one?

IEE stands for Independent Educational Evaluation. Parents are legally entitled to request an IEE from the school district (at public expense). They can do so when they disagree with the public agency’s (i.e. school district) assessment. This right applies to students who have an IEP and those who have been assessed but determined ineligible for special education services. But, before you start drafting letters requesting IEEs, consider these questions:

Is an IEE Appropriate?

An IEE is only appropriate if there is disagreement regarding the public agency’s assessment. For example, if the district’s assessment presents insufficient data and information regarding a student’s functioning and needs, an IEE may be warranted.

Is the Timing Right?

It is important to consider the timing of requesting an IEE. Families are only entitled to one IEE each time the public agency conducts an assessment that they disagree with.

Is Your Student Up for More Testing?

Some students love the individual attention that comes with special education assessment. However, other students may find the amount of testing needed for an evaluation overwhelming. This may negatively impact assessment results.

Make An Informed Decision

If you determine that an IEE is appropriate, contact your district or public agency. Make your request for an IEE in writing. For your own records be sure to save a copy of your request. Also, make note of the date that it was sent/delivered to the district/public agency.

For more information about IEEs, contact us for a free consultation. We have conducted dozens of IEEs to help students access the supports and services they need most.

3 thoughts on “Does My Child Need an IEE (Independent Educational Evaluation)?

Comments are closed.